Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Our 14th Anniversary!




14 years ago today I walked down a soggy aisle in my Grandparent's backyard and married my best friend. Those who were there know that it rained that morning. We didn't know what we were going to do. I remember my Papaw coming into the room and trying to cheer me up. He said, in that sweet and wise way of his "Sweetheart, if you can't handle a little rain, you don't need to get married in the first place." The truth of that statement calmed me and has replayed in my head so many times throughout the last 14 years. Miraculously, right before the ceremony started the sky cleared and the sun came out and gave us a beautiful setting for our wedding. Afterward, as we drove away toward our honeymoon suite, the sky opened up again. I think that you could describe the last 14 years of our lives that way. Beautiful shining moments, with a little rain in between.
When I look back at the couple in our wedding photos I think "Oh my gosh! We were babies!!" We had no idea what we were in for! We had this fairy tale picture in our head of what our lives would be like and when I look back now, I have to laugh.
Honestly, we barely knew each other. Compared to now, we didn't know each other at all. What we did know was that we loved each other and were committed to making it work.
I remember our first date, looking over at him and thinking "Wow, I want to marry someone just like this." It really surprised me because the date was so spur of the moment, just two friends going out. I had just ended a long, serious relationship and he was newly divorced. He swore he would never get married again. But I noticed that when I talked, he really listened. I felt like I could be myself and he would like me anyway. I remember him putting his hand on the small of my back when we were walking downtown and it made me feel safe. I remember when he kissed me for the first time, my heart raced.
I sometimes wonder if we'd known then, what we know now, would we do it the same? If we knew about all the hard times we would go through- silly arguments, huge fights, car accidents, deaths in our family, infertility, health issues, financial troubles, etc.- would we still choose to get married so quickly, so young and to each other?
My answer is always the same- absolutely! Because at the end of the day, Bry is still the man who really listens to me, he still lets me be who I am, still makes me feel safe and cherished and he still makes my heart race when he kisses me.
Happy Anniversary babe! I look forward to many more years with you! I love you!!
I thought it would be funny to include some pics of our last 14 years together. Try not to laugh to hard...
Our first "professional picture" together. Bry bought me an Alabama sweatshirt soon after our first date. He started the brainwashing early. (Sorry about the quality of the pics. I didn't have time to scan them all so I just took pics of them instead so they are a little fuzzy.)
This was our first New Year's Eve as a married couple. Bry grew his goatee shortly before this and I loved it. He is not allowed to shave it off now. :)
Being silly together. We loved going to arcades together. (Don't ya love the scrunchie?)
One of our first vacations together. Spring Break in Hot Springs.
Ha! Don't hate. You know you have an old time photo at home too!

Bry's company sent us to San Fransico for a convention. My first time in California. We had so much fun! (Let the weight gain begin.)
I love this picture. I think I was ticked off at him about something. hehe.
We love photo booths.
After many heartbreaking years of trying to start our family, our first little miracle was on the way!
Bryan was so excited to be a Daddy!
It has to be love to let something this large sit on your lap!!
Our first family photo with our precious Bailey!

After seeing the first family photo I got off my butt and lost the weight! Yeah!


We wanted some pictures of us for our room. Jo came over and we had a little photo shoot. These are my favorite pics of us ever.


All dressed up for Bry's office Christmas party.


The last professional photo of us before our family expanded again... and again. :)


Surprise, surprise. We are better at making babies than we thought. :) Our precious family!

Here we are now, 14 years later. A little older, a lot more tired, but still hanging in there together!

3 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

that was a wonderful stroll down memory lane! i do believe i had some of the same clothes you wore in some of those "earlier" pics. and gotta love the scrunchie :)

Gabby said...

Awww!!! Happy Anniversary you two!! Oh do I remember the wedding! :) Ya'll were babies!!! I thought that when I saw the first picture!!! You both have endured a lot over the years and I am very proud of you both for sticking in it and making it work!! Divorce is not an option!! God has blessed you time and time again and he will continue to if you keep Him first in both of your lives!!! I love you guys and miss you deeply!!! Sniff sniff. I hope you had a good day! Love Gabs

Elizabeth said...

Wow. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! That was one of the sweetest things I've ever read. Seriously! Is it just me or do you get prettier and prettier as you get older? I'm so happy for you guys. You are a wonderful couple. Let's plan to take pictures soon!! I can get some cute ones of you and Bryan!!