Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fire and Rice


I love how my kids aren't afraid to try new things, especially when it comes to food. When I was little, there was a short list of foods that I would go near. Those being hamburgers, pizza, spaghetti and bbq. :)

Anyway, we have always tried to introduce the kids to all different kinds of foods. One of the places that we have been taking the kids to since they were eating solid foods is hibachi grills.

I remember taking Bailey there when she was a toddler and how everyone at the table always commented on how good she was. She loved watching the little show that the chef put on and trying new foods, even her Daddy's sushi (blek). She's also drinking hot green tea now. (again, blek.)

And of course, this is one of the few places that we have been able to take Luke (and Presley) and know that we are going to be able to enjoy our meal. They are being entertained by the chefs the whole time so we are actually able to eat and just enjoy our babies. Luke loves the chopsticks. He alternates between using them to pick up everything within reach to using them as drumsticks.

They all love fried rice but I think Presley loves it the most. She cracks us up everytime we go to Stix, our current favorite Japanese Steakhouse. They all love the fire but as soon as the chef puts the rice on the grill, Presley picks up her spoon and starts squeeling, shaking and kicking her legs. She is so cute and gets so excited that a lot of the chefs remember her now when we come in. She does not take her eyes off of that rice until it hits her plate. It's like she's in a zone. Then she digs in and doesn't stop until it's gone. It's so funny.

Everytime we go I think, this is one of those memories that I will keep with me. When they are teenagers and I am no longer cool, I will find myself eating rice and I just know that my mind will flash back to these precious moments.


Isn't it funny how when you are a Mom even rice can make you sentimental?