Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Things we take for granted before having kids...

O.K., first let me say that I love being a Mommy. I wouldn't change it for the world. I am grateful for every second that I have with my children. But let's just be honest, it's hard. It wears you out and there are times when you want to just scream! So anyway, as I was trying to get my son to stay in his bed for a nap today this list just starting rolling through my mind. For the people in my life who don't have kids yet, here are a few things you should enjoy while you can. And keep in mind, this is only the short list, there are plenty of things that I don't have time to mention.

Things we take for granted before having kids...

1. Only having one butt and one nose to wipe.

2. Going to the bathroom by yourself.

3. Taking a shower whenever you want- without having to worry about who will watch your kids and keep them from destroying the house or themselves while you are in there.

4. Eating a whole meal without getting up once to get someone a refill, cut up someones food, clean up a spill, etc.

5. Owning one shirt that doesn't have spit up, sticky finger or snot stains.

6. Going anywhere without packing a suitcase full of diapers, wipes, snacks, drinks, toys, blankies, the kitchen sink...

7. Sleep- totally uninterrupted, worry free sleep.

8. Total silence- even for 3 minutes.

9. Being able to sit next to your spouse without 3 little monkeys climbing in between you or on top of you.

10. Holding your spouses hand. (There is always a tiny hand to hold, a stroller to push, etc.)

11. Having a telephone conversation without having to ask the person your talking to if they can hold so that you can deal with the chaos that has erupted b/c you turned your back for 5 seconds.

12. Having any conversation without having to stop and chase, talk to, or discipline a child.

13. Only going to the grocery store once a week. (Who knew little people could eat so much!)

As I said, I love being a Mommy. I cherish every second and wouldn't change my life. But hey, I'm human and even me (Super Mommy) has days when I want to find a good hiding place and not come out for a couple of hours.

No comments: