Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Naughty Chair



One of my favorite shows is Super nanny. I think the woman is awesome and uses great techniques. I have actually learned a lot by watching her. What is so funny to me is how the parents on the show think that she is going to come in and teach their kids a thing or two. But they get a big surprise because most of the time the problem is them. And I know from experience, that is usually the case in any home, mine included.
So anyway, most who know us know of our sweet little challenge named Luke. He is such a sweet, charming and loving little boy but he has so much energy and curiosity that he can really wear us out. Well, we have been trying the “naughty chair” for a while now and it just doesn’t seem to be working. We realized that he didn’t mind sitting there because he could see the television. Well, yesterday I decided to move the chair into the hallway where there are no toys, TV, etc. Needless to say, Luke did not like this at all. He would not stay on that chair! He tried everything from running and hiding to stripping down to the nude. We started the first time out at 5:45. I was determined to get him to stay on that chair for a full 3 minutes. I was also going to do it without losing my temper. I did both, it took 45 minutes. He was out for a full 12 minutes before he smacked his sister and was right back in time out. We had to do it all over again. That time took 45 minutes too.
I like the idea of the naughty chair because it gives us both the time to cool off. Also because there is no yelling or spanking involved. Not that I’m against spanking but I like to avoid it if I can. I’m determined not to give up on the Naughty chair or my sweet Luke. I just hope I survive.


No comments: