Monday, April 28, 2008

I am not my hair continued...

It's official! I am no longer horny!

O.k. get your minds out of the gutter. I finally had my horns removed today. Bryan and I arrived at the hospital at 10 am. After 3 hours of waiting, the doctor finally walks in. We were told that there was a scheduling mistake and I should have been told when I came in, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he wasted no time. He walked in, put a little sheet over my my head that had a hole in it so he could see the cyst. I felt him doing something and saw a few hairs fall away and realized he was shaving my hair. :( I looked at Bry who assured me it wasn't very much. Then he told me I would feel a "little bee sting" and numbed the area with a local anesthetic. Then he went right to work cutting out the cyst.


Now, those of you who know me, know that I can handle pain. What I am not great at is seeing my own blood or feeling tugging when I know that I am being stitched or hearing cutting when I know that I am being cut. I had a mole removed from my hand last year and almost passed out in the chair when I heard a cutting sound. I found out later that what I heard was the doctor cutting gauze not my skin. I didn't know that though. I never watch what is being done to me because of the blood issue. Anyway, this time I was prepared. So when I felt him tugging and started feeling woozy, I closed my eyes, took deep breaths and visualized him braiding my hair. Somehow, it worked and I got through that one and the next incision really well. The last cyst was smaller and it was also right at the front of my scalp. He told me that one was going to be the toughest because it was smaller so he would have to "look" for it. Well, I don't know if the local didn't work or if he didn't hit the right nerve but I felt everything. It was awful. Luckily, he found it pretty fast and he was done.


He showed us what he pulled out and I can only say "eeeeeeewwww!! The first one was about the size of a large marble. The second was about the size of a small marble and the third was pea sized. The were milky colored, round and mushy looking. He said they were oil filled cysts. He will send them off to be sure but wasn't worried.


The nurse came in and tried to clean me up but she said it was just impossible to get all of the blood off because of all my hair. It was already drying and matted. She apologized for making me walk out in public looking like a gunshot victim, gave me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain killers and told me to come back in 10 days to have the stitches removed.


I really don't know how much hair I lost yet or how many stitches I have. My hair is so matted that it is hard to tell. I can't wash it for 24 hours. Right now, I am drugged up and feeling much better, but I have to say until I got the drugs I was hurting pretty bad. I never realized how much you move your scalp! I couldn't frown or smile or make any expression really without it hurting worse. It pretty much felt like my scalp was on fire. Although, the first two weren't giving me any problems, it was that darned little one.


So, for those of you who were concerned, I lived through it. I still have most of my hair. I have been successfully de-horned. I guess my family will have to find something else to pick on me about. I know they won't have any problems there.

4 comments:

Gabby said...

LOL!! You, not horny??!! LMAO!!! J/K! I am glad everything went well and you survived!!! It doesn't look like they took too much hair so that's good! :)

Joanna said...

WOW! that's crazy! i'm glad it's over and you have drugs. ;)

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Jo, that's crazy! I'm so glad it's over and now you can just relax and heal. Oh yeah- I'm also glad you still have your hair!

Anonymous said...

This was an incredibly disgusting post, Angie. Evelyne has a cyst on her scalp like that, the doctor said it was no big deal. How do we know if it needs to come-out?