Monday, June 22, 2009

While they're sleeping...

It's funny how your perspective changes when your kids are sleeping. I love them more than anything. I would die for them in a second, but I believe in being honest. And honestly, they can REALLY drive me crazy! But then I'll finally get them to sleep and look down at their little faces and think "Was I too hard on him/her today?" or "Maybe I shouldn't have made such a big deal about that."
This morning Presley ended up in our bed at around 5 am, which is very unusual for her. So I wrapped my arms around her warm little body and snuggled in close. I'm lying there inhaling her apple shampoo, mixed with a hint of passy breath (Yes people, she still sleeps with a pacifier! She's my baby! What can I say??) Anyway, all of the sudden it hits me...when was the last time we had a really good cuddle? Did I tell them I loved them enough yesterday? Did I give them enough hugs? Did I raise my voice too much? Do they know how proud they make me? Was cleaning the bathroom really more important than playing Lego's with them?
It's so easy to think those things when they're asleep and quiet and all...angelic. But then they wake up...and the fights over toys start and the screaming, and temper tantrums and the "I don't want pizza for lunch!" And all you can think is "Lord-please just help me make it to bedtime so I can remember how sweet they really are and why I do this everyday!!
And the cycle continues...!!!
Well, I guess that's why God makes the little ones sleep as much as they do. Just another of the many things I thank Him for everyday. :)

No comments: