Saturday, June 13, 2009

Even on vacation....

Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean that you get to stop being a mom. The day we arrived at our beach condo we realized that we needed to do some laundry or we were going to run out of clothes. We also needed to do some grocery shopping because we were going to be eating breakfast and lunch at the condo.
By the time we checked in, took the kids to the beach for a few minutes and ate dinner it was probably around 8 pm. Anyone who knows me realizes that my brain switches off at around 8:30, if not before. I am not a night owl. My sister on the other hand can somehow stay awake for 3-4 days in a row. Go figure. Regardless of my sleep deprivation, a mom has to do what a mom has to do. So Bre and I set off to find the nearest laundromat and grocery store. Luckily, the laundromat was only a few doors down from our condo. Unluckily, it had no air conditioning and both the front and back doors were open. The back door opened to an empty parking lot. During the day, this probably wouldn't have been a big deal. At night, Freakin' scary!
We got our laundry going and sat on the folding table (we didn't notice until later the big sign that reads "Please do not sit on the folding table!") and settled in for a long, hot, sweaty wait. For some reason we both had on our comfy track pants. By the time we left they were rolled up past our knees, our hair was damp with sweat and sticking out all over and our deodorant had long since failed us!
Anyway, Bre faced one door and I faced the other and we just prayed that some psycho beach bum didn't come in and try to stuff us into a dryer! It's amazing how paranoid you become when you are exhausted. Every time I would move my eyes toward the door Bre would jerk around to see what I was looking at and vice versa. It's also amazing how everything becomes the most hilarious thing you've ever heard! We were laughing our butts off the whole time and I couldn't tell you now what was so funny!
After our clothes were finally washed and dried we started folding them and realized that the machines were crappy. Most of our whites had some weird yellow stains on them and a couple of our shirts were shrunk. I pulled out one of Bry's and said "Oh my gosh! It looks like it belongs to an oompa loompa!" Of course, this started another round of hysterical laughter and ended with Bre on one side of the shirt and me on the other trying to stretch it back to size before Bry saw it! When we finally got to the closest grocery store we realized that it had closed like 10 minutes before. I called Bry and he asked the hotel clerks and they sent us to another store that was further away and they informed us that it closed in around 45 minutes! I don't think I have ever shopped for groceries so fast! Who doesn't have a grocery store open past 11 pm??
Oh well, just another adventure in the life of a Mom!

By the way, the picture quality is horrible because we didn't think to bring our cameras on our little adventure. So, we had to take these with my camera phone.

No comments: