Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Lot of Changes

When Bryan lost his job we knew that a lot of things were going to change. One of the major things was that we weren't going to be able to afford Bailey's tuition anymore. This was so devastating to me. I changed schools 9 times from 1st grade through 9th. It was extremely hard on me and so I swore that I would do my best to keep that from happening with my kids. The other thing that was important to me was that Bailey could attend a school where she would learn about God and be surrounded by teachers and classmates who loved the Lord. We had some money saved up so that we could probably have sent her this year but we really needed to pay off bills with that. So, I decided to talk to Bailey about it and pray about it and then Bry and I would decide what to do.
I asked her a few weeks before school started how she would feel about going to Tara Oaks. At first she teared up, which almost had me panicking. We talked about it for a while, about how she would be able to walk to school, make friends in the neighborhood, etc. Before the talk was over she was begging me to go there! I was completely shocked and so relieved.
We've had a couple of tough moments since then. She misses the prayer time at ECS, the bible classes, her friends and the familiarity. She hates being the new girl. But overall, she has handled it SO well! She is such a little trooper. I can't explain how proud I am of her attitude and her courage.
One of the major perks for her has been the dress code. She is able to wear regular clothes, jewelry and fingernail polish! It has really opened my eyes to how much my little girl has grown up and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that! She is just too beautiful . I keep saying that I dread the day when the boys her age realize the girls don't have cooties!
I took pics of her first few days and I had to add one from this time last year. Boy, what a difference a year (and a new school) makes!!
Bay on her first day of school last year. On her first day of school this year.
At her desk. So beautiful!
The whole fam went to pick her up the first day. She loves walking to and from school. Especially when it's just me and her.
She has to tuck her shirt in if it isn't a baby doll or one of these with the bands around the bottom. She made sure everything she bought wouldn't have to be tucked in. :)
She found out she could wear tank tops if she wore a sweater or something over them. She is finding all of the loopholes in the dress code! :)
She calls this her "nerdy" outfit. She loves it though.



2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I am so glad Bailey is doing so well with the adjustment. Kids adjust to change so well....just us mommies that really struggle :) Taylor had to change schools when she moved from 2nd to 3rd grade as we had moved. She did much better than me right from the beginning. It is funny how a regular clothes make them look so much more grown up! She is a beautiful girl. We too dread the time when the boys figure out that girls don't have cooties! I think I am going to buy a gun and start carrying it around! just kidding, I think :)

Gabby said...

She is so beautiful Angie!! Just wait until the day you have to buy her a bra!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! Yes! I did the other day!!! I cant blog about it either!!!! I want to but I just cant!! But I about cried!!!!! I am so glad Bay is doing so well! Holly is right though! They are much more resilient than us!!!