Monday, July 7, 2008

Fishing and the Fourth



We had a pretty relaxing July 4th weekend. On Friday morning we decided to take the kids to our neighborhood lake and let them "fish". Instead of putting hooks on their line we put weights so that they could cast without hurting themselves or each other. Luke was an instant pro. He was casting his line way out there! They loved reeling it in and trying again. Bailey has a minnow catcher so she just sat there and waited for a fish to swim into her trap. :) They were so excited when she caught one. They named him Stripes. They watched it swim around for a while and then we let it go. We convinced Luke and Presley that Stripes was missing his mommy so they wouldn't be sad about sending him back into the lake. When they got bored with fishing we went for a walk and then played at the park.
After their naps we went to my Dad's house for a BBQ and swimming. The kids love to swim so they had a blast. I had fun watching my doofus brother-in-law wrestle with an inflatable crocodile. Bry had fun squirting people and being mischievous, as usual. I also spent a lot of time holding my sweet boys, Cameron and Carson.
I decided to leave before the fireworks started though. I don't like fireworks. I don't understand why we spend so much time teaching our kids not to play with fire and to stay away from hot things and then because it is July 4th, it is suddenly o.k. to hand them something with fire shooting out the end of it. I know, I know. I 'm a party pooper. My sister has already told me this.
She did talk me into leaving Bailey with her because they had bought a ridiculous amount of sparklers for the kids. I thought everyone would have a lot more fun if I wasn't there stressing out. Bre assured me that she would keep Bailey safe and return her to me with all of her fingers.
She did come home with all of her fingers and also with stories of how BreBre and Papaw started throwing snap-pops at each other. Which started a war with everyone throwing them at each other.
See, this is why I left. I would have had a heart attack if I had been there. And what fun would that have been??

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the picture of you and Bre. You guys are so pretty!! Seriously, it looks like you had a blast. And just for the record, I would have freaked out if people threw those pop things at me. Tell Bre she's crazy. :)

Gabby said...

LOL!! I am right there with ya! I like to watch from a good safe distance!!! I do not like doing them! Corey was upset with me b/c I wouldn't let him do any that night! :) I'm a party pooper too! :) But they are just too dangerous I am sorry!! Your dad looks sooooo different with his face shaved!!! I was shocked! I don't think I have ever seen him without a mustache! :) Sounds like you had fun! Love ya!!!