Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day gift to myself

I spent Mother's Day morning with two of my favorite women in the world. They also happen to be two of the best Mom's I know. I woke up early and met Mom and Bre for our 2nd annual Mother's Day breakfast. As usual with my family it didn't go quite as planned. Mom chose the restaurant. (I won't say which one but it starts with a C and ends with a K's.) Honestly, I wasn't all that thrilled with her choice because I knew that they allowed smoking there but hey, it was Mom's day so I sucked it up and showed up with a smile. As soon as I walked in the door the strong smell of mothballs hit me right upside the face. No one was smoking though so I did my best to ignore the smell and tried for a positive attitude. The waitress took my drink order and then schlepped off to retrieve it for me. After plopping it in front of me she disappeared, never to be heard from again. Seriously, 30 minutes went by and still no one to take our order.
During this time Mom opened her gifts while Bre killed the ants that were crawling all over our table. They were on Bre's side of the table so it didn't bother me that much. The fact that she was sitting half in my lap trying to get away from the ants was a little annoying though. After Mom, got finished opening gifts and we got sick of waiting, we decided to just go to another restaurant. I quickly hopped out of my seat and high-tailed it to the door. I didn't want to be around in case the lady gave Bre attitude about us leaving. :)
We decided to go to Perkins and ended up having a very yummy breakfast and a really good time together. It's very rare that Bre and I get Mom all to ourselves. It's funny, once you start having kids of your own, Mom becomes "Grammy" and you have to take the backseat. I am so grateful that my kids get to spend so much time with her. I love that they have such a great relationship and get to see how awesome she is, but every once in a while, I want her all to myself. :) So, I guess that is the Mother's Day gift I gave to myself...my Mom.

1 comment:

mom said...

and you forgot to mention what an awesome mom you are, honey...thank you angie, you always have had a way of making me feel loved and i loved the time we had together..we need more of these traditions...