Friday, April 10, 2009

Target...not just for shopping!

Being able to have a date with my hubby is a rare treat. Normally, when we do get a chance to go out alone, we go to dinner and a movie. I love to do both, but here's the problem...we rarely get a chance to talk without constant interruptions. So I hate to spend the majority of our "date night" in a movie theater, with 100 other people. Not only is it not romantic, but there is no chance for conversation.
On Wednesday, we were able to go out alone, thanks to my Mom. Before we left the house, I noticed that Bry had printed out the movie times so that we could choose what we would watch. I started trying to think of something else for us to do. I looked over and noticed the movies that we had rented the night before, sitting on the counter. Do to our crazy schedules, we hadn't had the chance to watch them yet. I had a bright idea. :) I asked Bry to bring the movie and his laptop.
After a nice, QUIET dinner and a little shopping we pulled into the Target parking lot. We went inside and bought a large popcorn and coke and returned to our car. After moving the car seats to the very back of the car, we cracked the windows and settled into the backseat. Bry set up his laptop and we sat there (in the Target parking lot) eating our yummy popcorn and watching our movie. It was so nice outside and we had parked far enough away from the store that we weren't disturbed by people going in and out. Although, I was enjoying the movie and my hubby's company so much that the few times that a car door would slam beside us, it would scare me to death! Not only was it nice to be alone, but we were also able to talk to each other during the movie without getting dirty looks from other movie goers. (However, I think we did get a few looks from people who saw two grown adults climb out of the back of an SUV together.)
Now, I know that to some of you this may sound crazy. But I also know that those of you with multiple children and few babysitting options are thinking "Hey, that's not a bad idea!" And if your not thinking that, then you just aren't desperate enough yet.
By the way, the movie we watched was 7 pounds with Will Smith. I highly recommend it. Great movie, but keep the Kleenex box handy.
Anyway, I left my camera at home so I was only able to get a few pics of our "Target drive-in" experience with Bry's phone. Don't laugh at us too much. If you aren't desperate enough for a little quiet time with your spouse yet, you may be soon enough. And I bet when you are, you'll remember this and find yourself searching the aisles of Blockbuster and heading to your nearest Target parking lot. Don't forget the popcorn and Coke!

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

We have been desperate enough to do many things to get a date night. In fact we are due for one soon. I was telling Matt that we always go to the movies but we never get to talk and that isn't god. If we go to dinner we feel like we should rush so they can seat someone else. We might just be using our laptop for that very purpose soon.

Gabby said...

Thats the best idea I have heard in a while!! Thx!