Sunday, April 12, 2009

Egg hunts, Family fun & a broken toe!

I must be crazy because once again I decided that my house would be a great place for everyone to come for Easter. On Saturday, the whole fam came over for dinner and to hunt some eggs. Before the hunt, we decided to do the Resurrection Eggs. We wanted to remind the kiddos that even though we like to do fun stuff at Easter, that it's really a time to remember the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. I let them each pick an egg and when I called their color, they opened their egg and showed everyone what was inside. Each egg contains something that symbolizes a part of Jesus' last days and his resurrection. I actually think the kids really enjoyed it and I was amazed at how much they understood!
After that, we let them loose in the front yard to search for the eggs. We did that a little different this year too. Instead of individual baskets we just put 2 big buckets out there and they gathered the eggs and threw them in the buckets. Instead of putting candy in the eggs, they got a goody bag with a bunch of candy after dinner. That way, it was less of a competition and more fun. Also, it kept them from eating a ton of candy before dinner.
We had so much fun. The food was yummy. The kids all had a blast egg hunting, playing baseball with the Dad's, hunting for bugs...just being kids. I had fun watching everyone else having fun.
I can't go without mentioning that I think I broke my toe. Sometimes when my sister is around I forget how old I am. She started chasing me around the house with some ear cheese that she had dug out of Carson's ear. Yes, I said ear cheese. I almost threw up in my mouth just now from thinking about it. Anyway, she was chasing me and I slipped and ran into the door frame, bruised my leg and hurt two of my toes. I had to wear flip-flops to church this morning with my pretty Easter dress. Sisters! What are you gonna do?
This is the kids coming out to hunt. I love how excited they all look!
Luke didn't have enough hands for all the eggs he found!
The more realistic family photo!
Sweet Ella. Give us time, we'll make her crazy too!
Aussie searching for eggs.My beautiful Bay"Sefer"! I could just squish him! Chicks dig the hair!
I'll be nice and not tell you why Mom is so opposed to having Bre's hands in her face. I'll just tell you that they didn't smell very nice! I love Bre's expression. I had to add this one. The kids were all dressed up in their Easter best and Bry took them out for a picture. It was so cold outside that they said that it hurt to smile! Poor babies!


1 comment:

Holly Aytes said...

Love the idea of just a big bucket everyone contributes too. Caleb cries if he doesn't get the most eggs....he is so competitive! Sorry I had to laugh about the "possible" broken toe :) Sorry it was cold there :( It actually wasn't too bad here as long as you were in the sun! I wish we could have one really nice easter though.