Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Sassy!!

Three years ago today I received a gift that I never imagined I would be given. My third child, my second daughter, my baby girl, my Presley. There I was with an 8 week old baby boy, another unexpected miracle in my life. I was overwhelmed with the gifts that God had already blessed me with when I discovered that I was pregnant again.
Presley was such an easy baby. Of course, it was difficult because there were two babies in the house but it was as if she knew that Mommy needed a little help. She only fussed when she needed something. I could lay her down in her bed and she would soothe herself to sleep. When she woke up she would keep herself company until I came to get her. She was so beautiful and girly and sweet. She made us laugh by how her whole body would vibrate and she would kick her little legs when she was happy or excited. Presley took her time learning to walk. At first I was grateful for that because I already had one little munchkin running around getting into everything. But then I started to worry because she was a year old and still showed no interest. I started trying to get her to walk. I would lower her to the floor and she would jerk her feet up and start crying. Eventually I realized that she just didn't want to walk. She realized that being carried was much more fun. That was one of the first signs she showed of her being a little princess.
Many signs soon followed. She found her voice and was not afraid to use it to show her approval or very loud disapproval of things. She wanted to chose her own shoes and if you tried to change them, she would let you have it! She loves to have her hair fixed and then she runs around to show us all and waits for us to tell her how beautiful she is. After I dress her each day she runs back to my mirror and poses and looks at herself from each angle. Sometimes she declares herself a rock star and some days she just says "I beautiful".
She has been nicknamed Sassy and it fits her perfectly. If you gain her disapproval, she will throw her finger up in your face and say "Don't talk to me! The child is not afraid of anything! Animals, the dark, anything! She has the best laugh and the sweetest smile. She keeps us laughing all the time with the things she says and does. She loves to sing and dance. She loves fried rice and chocolate of any kind. She adores her brother and sister but she never hesitates to put them in their place when she feels it necessary. She's very independent and outspoken. She's also very sensitive and loving. I couldn't imagine my life without her.
It's hard for me to believe that she is three years old. I feel like the last three years have been a blur. I wish there was a way to slow it down so I could savor all the hugs and cuddles and baby giggles. These will, after all, be my last. She is my baby. As much as it hurts to feel all of these little moments slipping away, my heart sings every time she learns something new and for every new smile that I get to see.
I love you my Sassy girl. My sweet Presley. Happy Birthday!!

3 comments:

Gabby said...

One question....what the heck did she get into in the last picture?! I hope it was tub paint or something!!! LOL! I am sorry we couldn't make it to her bday! Tell her we said Happy Birthday!!!

Holly Aytes said...

Happy Birthday Presley! I love all the pictures of her (especially the ones where she is really showing her sassy side!). Madison is the same way. I love that about her. Hope she had a happy day.

Elizabeth said...

Awww.. Happy Birthday, Presley!