Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Luke!

So there I was, nearly 5 years ago, married to my best friend, having a blast being Mommy to my beautiful daughter. We had just returned from an awesome Disney vacation and moved into our new home. I finished training to become a yoga instructor and only needed to take the written exam for certification. Life seemed pretty perfect. Sure, we wanted more kids, but had resigned ourselves to the fact that it wasn't going to happen the "natural" way. We visited with an adoption attorney and had started paperwork. Soon after, I went in for my yearly OB appointment. They asked the usual questions, including when my last cycle began. I started to answer, then looked at the calendar and then back at the nurse- she smiled and said "Maybe we should run a pregnancy test, just in case". She walked in a few minutes later and said "Mrs. Ross, you're pregnant." I said the first thing that came to my mind. "SHUT UP!" She laughed and said "I will not, you are pregnant." After telling her to shut up again, I asked her to take another test.
The other test had the same result and roughly 9 months later my tiny boy with a head full of jet black hair came screaming into my life! I was instantly and completely in love. Luke was such a sweet baby. His smile would make you melt and to this day his pitiful cry is enough to break my heart. It didn't take long for my tiny boy with the jet black hair to turn into a chubby little man with a head full of blond curls. And it took even less time for me to learn that raising him would be a lot different than raising Bailey.
He doesn't like to sleep, for fear of missing something. When he gets mad, he makes sure everyone knows it. And mischief is his middle name. There isn't a child lock he can't pick or an obstacle he can't climb in order to get into the trouble he has planned. His little mind never stops!On the other hand, he is charming, loving and kind hearted. He is fiercely protective of his sisters. He gives the best hugs! And I gotta say, the ladies love Luke. Everywhere we go, young and old, girls are drawn to him and they can't keep their hands out of his curly hair.
He is all boy. He loves rough-housing with his Daddy, playing with cars and his tools. But he also loves to look good. He looks forward to going for haircuts with Bry. After Bryan dresses him for church he will strut up to me, strike a pose and say "Uuuuuh-Huuuuuh!", like he knows he looks hot! :)
My sweet Luke, my first and only son, my precious little man- you've taught me patience, to expect the unexpected, because of you I've learned to not sweat the small stuff. You've kept me on my toes and you've worn me out! You make me smile and you warm my heart!
Happy 4Th Birthday Buddy!! I love you so much!

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

What a sweet post Angie! Boys are so different that is true. Caleb really threw me for a loop when he was born cause he was nothing like Taylor so I get what you are saying. I hope Luke had a great birthday (I saw the pics from the party but didn't comment...looks like everyone was having a blast!).

Gabby said...

So sweet it made me cry!! Happy Birthday "Wuke"!! We love you!!!