Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bye, Bye Pacifier


My sweet Luke is no longer a "passie baby". We were really worried about how we were going to break his pacifier habit. We knew it would be hard because Presley still has hers and she is just not ready yet. At first we limited his passie use to bed time. We told him that it had to stay in his bed. If he wanted it then he could go lay down. That was actually pretty easy. He is so busy that he did not want to have to go to bed.
Well, we've been doing that for a while but he still was really attached to it at naptime and bedtime. Anyway, the other day he had a rash on his top lip. Right before bedtime Luke had gone and got his passie. He started complaining about his lip burning to his Daddy and Bry explained that the pacifier was making it hurt worse b/c it was irritating the rash. So Luke took it out and threw it on the ground. A little while later, as we were tucking him in he mentioned needing his passie. Bry reminded him that the pacifier was burning his lip and Luke just said "Oh yeah, bad passie." That simple. No more pacifier! That was 3 nights ago.
I am so excited on one level but at the same time I know that it is the end of another stage of his life. Just one more step closer to him growing up and leaving me. Motherhood is such an emotional journey.
My sweet baby boy. I just want to hold on to him and not let go.

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Madison will be 3 on the 28th of this month and she still has her paci! She shows no signs of getting rid of it anytime soon. I confess, I don't plan on making her :) That has always been her comfort item. She will not go to kindergarten with it. It is only used at bedtime, naptime, when she is hurt, in the car on long trips, to keep her quiet when I need her to be, etc :) Actually she really doesn't use it much and can fall asleep without it. I just love to see her sleeping face quietly sucking on the little paci making it wiggle :) So cute! (Plus I don't want her to grow up just yet, is that selfish of me or what!)

Gabby said...

awww!!! I totally agree ........motherhood is a very emotional journey and aren't you so glad you get to enjoy that journey and enjoy it with so many other mommy's!! We are so blessed! Love the pics! I miss those days!! :)