Saturday, July 3, 2010

Where ever He leads, I'll go...

I want to share my experiences in Nicaragua and I will try to do that in the next few posts. I think before I do that though, I should probably write about how I came to the decision of taking the trip in the first place...
When I first heard about the She Community's trip to Nicaragua I got so excited, but then I remembered my financial situation and became discouraged. I really felt like God was pushing me to go, so I began praying. Eventually, I realized that if God wanted me to go, then He would provide a way. And He did.
I also felt like Bailey should go with me. Her whole world was turned upside down when
Bry lost his job. She had to leave the school and friends that she had known since Kindergarten. She went from having a house with her own room, to sharing a room with her 2 siblings. She also lost a pet that she adored. Her attitude has been amazing through this but I wanted her to see that there are people in the world with a lot less than us and who are happy to just be alive and to have Jesus in their hearts. I also wanted to give her the chance to help people who are less fortunate than her.
Besides praying for the means to go on the trip, I also talked to God a lot about my fears. I was diagnosed with agoraphobia a few years ago. There were times when I would barely leave my house. I was so broken and afraid that my only option was to turn to God and hand Him my fears. I have gradually become less afraid, but going to another country, taking my child with me and leaving my husband and two children here was a HUGE step! One that I believe was possible because of the peace that only God can give.
I tried to come up with so many reasons why this trip was not a good idea. But God kept knocking down my excuses and paving the way for us to go.
As crazy as it may sound, I feel like the loss of Bry's job has been a blessing in many ways. It has taught us what is really important in life. We've been forced to see how money was really interfering with our spiritual life and our family life. Helping others around us is something that has become very important to us. And living in community has become an essential part of our lives. This trip brought home so many things that we were already starting to realize. I can't wait to see where God sends me next!

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Angie, I can't wait to hear about your trip! I have never been on a mission trip but look forward to having that opportunity when Taylor is in the youth group at church. My sister used to go Honduras every year. She wants to take Taylor but both her church and ours requires children to be 13 to go on mission trips outside the country. Taylor can totally relate to Bailey. Matt's job loss has been much harder on her than the others but her attitude has been wonderful! What strong little girls we have :)

Gabby said...

Wow! God always allows us to go through things in our lives to teach us lessons and I am so glad to be able to hear what you have learned through it all! I cannot wait to go on a mission trip like that! Camp is so amazing in itself and I cannot imagine how awesome it will be when we get to go to another country!! :) Love you Beefrie!!