Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Nicaragua Day 2

On our second day in Nicaragua, we piled into the bus and headed into the city to visit one of the schools that the Sirker's started. When we arrived, I was surprised to see the school. There is a common area with small class rooms around it. There are walls and a roof, but there is about a 2 foot gap between the roof and the wall. The windows and doors are open because there is no air conditioning. So basically, if it rains and you are standing close to one of the walls or windows, you get wet.
First, we sat and watched as the students performed some songs and dances for us. I was so impressed that they had learned a couple of the songs in English, so that we would understand them. After they were done, our worship team (the musicians from Living Hope) led us all in song and worship. They also did some songs in Spanish and some in English. It was so cool to look around and see people worshiping God in different languages together.
Next, we broke off into groups. Some of the women from my group taught some parenting classes. Things like how to get more involved in your child's education, the importance of teaching your daughters modesty, etc. The youth group separated the students into groups. In one class, they did a puppet show for the kids, in another they would play games and in another they would do crafts then they would switch the kids out so that they would all get a chance to do each thing. Before we left Memphis, our children's minister (Ms. Anita) had the kids from church write "Jesus loves you" in Spanish and tape them onto Airhead candies. So while we were at the school, Bailey and Caroline were able to pass the candy out to the students. I was so proud of Bailey. Normally, she stays right beside me where ever we go. She is a major mommy's girl. But on that day, she went and watched the puppet show with the kids and jumped right in to help.
Besides being one of the trip photographers, one of my responsibilities was to teach a sewing class to some of the students. I was under the impression that they had some experience with a sewing machine already and that there would be maybe 10-15 girls. I was going to teach them how to sew a tote bag. I was already nervous because I am terrified of speaking in front of people. When it was time to start the class, I walked in and there was about 50 kids sitting there. On top of that, I learned that none of them had ANY experience with sewing. At first my fear took over. I was stumbling over my words, I couldn't get the sewing machine to cooperate...it was horrible. I turned to Jo and asked her to take over for me and I walked outside for a minute. I started praying and asked God to please not let my fears get into the way of what He wanted me to do, to give me the right words to say and to help me through this class. Jo said when I walked back in, she was amazed at the change in me. She said it was like I walked out one person and walked in another. God is so awesome and faithful! I could never have done any of those things on my own. It makes me wonder why we try to do things on our own when it is so much easier to just lean on Him. The kids had a blast picking out their fabric and cutting out their patterns. Seeing the smiles on their faces was such an awesome feeling. God taught me some huge lessons that day!
When we left the school we went back to the guesthouse and arrived just in time for dinner. We had rice w/corn and peas, shredded cabbage and tomato salad and rolls. After dinner, the ladies in our group talked about our day and how we felt God's presence in different ways. Then we all went and had cold showers and went to bed. I was so exhausted from the day, that I had no trouble falling asleep!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I get chills just looking at these pictures. What a wonderful experience. Keep them coming! :)

Gabby said...

ok you are making me cry! I know I am hormonal! It is just so awesome to hear how God works like that in our lives!! Im so proud of you!! Love you!