Thursday, March 26, 2009

A little boy's prayer

I have tried to start praying with all 3 of my babies as soon as they start to talk. I started out with "Now I lay me..." and then eventually we pray for specific things. After I think they understand a little more, I encourage them to say their own prayers. I love hearing their sweet and sometimes funny conversations with God. They're just so honest and sweet and they say exactly what is on their heart and mind at that moment. I mention this because Luke said a particularly funny and heartwarming prayer the other night that I just had to share.
Lately, one of their favorite things to do is digging up worms from my flower beds to play with (and torture-not intentionally of course, they just don't realize that you can't keep a worm from moisture for too long or squeeze and stretch it too much without killing it). Needless to say, they have seen a lot of dead worms lately. Especially the worms that Presley find.
So, I am going through the normal bedtime routine with Luke. I read him a book, sang him a song and then I start to say a prayer with him. He stops me and tells me he wants to do it by himself this time. So we both close our eyes and bow our heads and this is what he says...
"Goodnight God.
I love you berry much.
Thank you for this place.
And please keep the worms
safe in their dirt.
Amen."
My heart just about melted. I wanted to laugh but I didn't want him to think he had said anything wrong, because he didn't. It was just so cute and like I said, honest. That was what was on his heart at the time. That was what was important to him in that moment. And I love the fact that he started with "Goodnight God". Like he understands that he's actually speaking to God instead of it just being this thing we do at night before he goes to sleep. I also love that he said, thank you for "this place" instead of "my home" or something like that. It was hilarious but so adorable.
It's amazing to me how hectic the day can be, how crazy they can make me, how exhausted and worn down I can feel. Then, I hear this and I think...this is why I am doing this. This is why I am here. So that this little boy (and my two sweet girls) can grow up learning to talk to God, to live for God. That they can turn to God for anything, He wants to hear all of their prayers. Even the ones about the worms.

2 comments:

Gabby said...

that is the sweetest thing ever!! You are such a great mommy!! Love you!

Elizabeth said...

Precious! And he's getting SO big. I almost didn't recognize him. It may be his haircut. I'm SO glad you're praying with the kids each night.